- The Brother HC1850 offers more than 130 built-in stitches to choose from, including decorative stitches and basic monogramming.
- Targeted towards quilters, this sewing machine features a detachable wide table, a spring action quilting foot, and the ability to do free motion quilting – among other features.
- The reliable and easy threading action of the bobbin and top thread offer high quality and consistent stitching.
- Brother offers a limited 25-year warranty on the HC1850.
Having been in business for generations, Brother sewing machines have become one of the most trusted names in the sewing industry. The Brother HC1850 (see today’s price on Amazon) multiple enhanced options and features to enable intermediate to advanced sewers to easily customize their projects and keep the sewing machine in excellent working order. The HC1850 offers more than 130 different stitches to use while sewing, including several different styles of buttonholes. Moreover, it is capable of doing basic monogramming and has 170 different stitch functions to use.
An included flip chart makes it simple to see all of the different stitches that this model is capable of doing. What makes this machine unique is that it can be used with or without the foot pedal controller, which offers users, even more, options for customizing how they would like to use the machine. A well-written user manual and instructional DVD are also included.
- The generously sized table makes it easy to tackle large projects, like quilting.
- The work area is backlit by LED lights, which makes it ideal for working with darker fabrics and to view the details of your project.
- The sewing speed of the HC1850 can easily be adjusted as a user works via the handy stitch speed slider control.
- This sewing machine model does not have a free arm, a feature which many sewers value.
- It is not suitable for use with leather.
The Brother HC1850 is a fully computerized sewing machine that is jam packed with features that were created specifically to make sewing more efficient and quicker for intermediate to advanced sewers. Capable of handling almost any project you can throw at it, its affordable price tag makes it even more attractive. As an added bonus, this model is covered by a limited 25-year warranty from Brother.
One of the most talked about features of the HC1850 is the number of stitches it offers. In addition to a basic monogramming font, this machine offers the following:
- 94 decorative stitches
- 42 stitches specifically for garment construction
- 14 quilting stitches
- 12 heirloom stitches
- 8 automatic, one step buttonhole options
The desired stitch can be selected using the backlit LED screen with the push of a button. On the front of the screen is a flip chart that lists every single stitch that the sewing machine has. To make your project go faster, the chart will enable you to make your selection in a matter of seconds.
Where the HC1850 shines is its ability to allow users to customize their work. Because the machine is computerized, any adjustments will only take a moment. When it comes to speed, this model offers three different sewing speeds to choose from. You can quickly sew through thin material or slow the speed down for thicker fabrics or more complicated patterns. Stitch length and width can easily be adjusted as needed; however, it should be noted that the size of the lettering stitches cannot be adjusted. Each letter is permanently fixed at ¼ of an inch.
Although this sewing machine is primarily aimed at intermediate to advanced sewers, newbie reviewers did not find it intimidating. The user manual is well-written, and the included instructional DVD makes setting up the machine an easy task. Once you unpack the box, you’ll be pleasantly surprised at all it has to offer. Just a few of the features that are designed to make sewing easier and more enjoyable with this machine include:
- A wider table for larger projects
- A convenient foot control for adjusting the speed at which you sew
- 8 different presser feet
- An accessory case that includes a needle set, extra bobbins, extra spool caps, an extra spool pin, eyelet punch, a cleaning brush, a seam ripper, and a screwdriver
No products found.
The primary downside to the HC1850 is that it is not ideal for quilting projects. The lack of a free arm and the inability of the presser feet to rise high enough to handle thicker materials do not offer an ideal environment for avid quilters; however, Brother does offer other models that are geared specifically for quilting enthusiasts.
For the majority of users, the Brother HC1850 Computerized Sewing Machine will more than adequately meet their needs. With all of its included accessories, diverse stitch range, and customizable controls, this model offers excellent value for the money. You won’t find many machines within this price range that provide the same level of features and customizability for the price.