- Users can choose from either 3 or 4 thread overlock stitching options.
- The built-in, rolled hem option creates a professional finish on pants and other types of garments.
- The color-coded threading chart makes it simple to thread this machine.
- The unit’s cutting width can be adjusted from 3.1mm to 7.3mm.
- It is a 110v machine that is designed for use in the United States only.
The Janome 8002D Serger (see today’s price on Amazon) offers users with a level of quality that one is typically accustomed to seeing only in commercial grade machines; however, its simplicity and ease of use will appeal to both amateurs and experts alike. Proof that the best things do come in small packages, this serger features a compact design – intended to minimize the amount of space it consumes – without sacrificing power or durability. Users are provided with a plethora of additional features that will enable them to express their creativity fully.
- Because of its small size, this serger can easily be stored in tight spaces and is readily transportable.
- The range of fabrics that this machine can be used with includes natural fibers, knits, delicate fabrics, upholstery, and synthetic fabrics.
- A retractable knife makes it simple to remove leftover fabric at the end of a sewing project.
- Those who are new to the world of sergers will find their initial attempts to thread this machine somewhat tricky.
- This serger model does not have an automatic tension adjustment feature.
Users who are looking for a serger that will offer professional quality results without the hefty price tag will appreciate what the Janome 8002D has to offer. Its thread capability includes 3 or 4 thread options, and it can sew, cut, and finish off seams in a single action. There are a number of stitch types to choose from, and the list of available options includes rolled hems, covered hems, chain stitching, and flat locking. With its compact dimensions, and because it weighs in at a mere 15 pounds, this serger model can easily be transported where needed. At full power, it can achieve an impressive stitch rate of 1,300 stitches per minute.
Also included in the design of this serger is a rolled hem device that makes it easy to convert over to the stitch function. It imbues garments with a professional finish. The hemmer essentially rolls the fabric over and over itself to conceal the edges of the material. As it is being rolled, the serger simultaneously sews it up. This creates a clean, crisp edge.
In general, the Janome 8002D includes a range of standard accessories that one would expect to see with a serger at this price point. The list of accessories includes:
- A built-in cutter for thread
- An adjustable differential feed
- The choice to use 1 or 2 needles
- A color-coded threading guide
- A retractable knife for cutting excess fabric
- Snap-on presser feet
- An accessories pouch containing tweezers, a lint brush, and extra needles
When examined next to comparable sergers currently on the market, this Janome serger is surprisingly simple to use. Many reviewers have said that they have forgone the use of the tweezers altogether. Because this model does come pre-threaded, it is ready to use almost immediately out of the box. Although the machine does tend to be on the noisy side, it produces next to no vibration while in operation. On the left side of the looper door, there is a clearly printed seam guide, which is easy to follow.
Some reviewers have noted that learning how to thread this model can be difficult, which may be frustrating to those who don’t have much experience working with sergers. Users are also restricted to using HA-ISP #11-14 needles with this machine, which are pricey. However, overall, most agree that this machine is a solid investment – regardless of one’s skill level when it comes to sewing. On the plus side, Janome has included a handy workbook with each 8002D model, which clearly teaches users how to use each stitch. Even more advanced sewers have found the workbook useful in enhancing their skill set.
For such a compact machine, the Janome 8002D offers a useful range of accessories and serging options. It is versatile and durable, and the fact that it is backed up by one of the industry’s best manufacturer warranties doesn’t hurt either. With an affordable price tag, it is a smart option. With its superior stitch quality, it is also an ideal option for any individual who works primarily with athletic wear or knits.
Last update on 2020-11-28 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon